Monday, October 7, 2013

"THE BUTLER" (2013) Review

ht_the_butler_mi_130815_16x9_608


"THE BUTLER" (2013) Review

When I first saw the trailer for "THE BUTLER", I resisted the urge to see it. I have nothing against films about the African-American experience. I could not wait to see Quentin Tarantino's pre-Civil War opus, "DJANGO UNCHAINED". But there was something about the trailer for "THE BUTLER" that turned me off. It had that dignified, pretentious aura that marred"THE KING'S SPEECH" and "NORTH AND SOUTH: BOOK II" for me. I was determined to avoid it. But thanks to my family, I could not avoid it in the end. 

Directed by Lee Daniels and written by Danny Strong, "THE BUTLER" was loosely inspired by the life of former White House butler, Eugene Alley. Now, when I say "loosely inspired", I meant it. Contrary to what many have claimed, the movie was not based upon Allen's life. Actor-turned-screenwriter Danny Strong read an article in the The Washington Post called "A Butler Well Served by This Election" by Will Haygood. Inspired by Allen's 34 years as a White House butler, Strong created the character of Georgia-born Cecil Gaines, who witnessed the murder of his sharecropper father by the plantation owner who also raped his mother. The estate owner's elderly mother reassigns Cecil to being a house servant. Another decade pass before Cecil decides its time to leave the cotton plantation. He makes his way for parts unknown, but the Great Depression in the form of hunger and unemployment leads him to break into a pastry shop for food. The shop's servant, Maynard, helps him get a job and later, recommends him for a job at a Washington D.C. hotel. During his two decades at the hotel, Cecil marries a woman named Gloria and they conceive two sons, Louis and Charlie. Then in 1957, Cecil is hired for a butler position at the White House and spends the next three decades working there. His job not only gives Cecil the opportunity to meet seven U.S. presidents, but also threatens his marriage to Gloria and creates tension between him and his activist older son, Louis.

In the end, I am glad that I saw "THE BUTLER". It turned out to be a lot better than I had assumed. I have to give kudos to Danny Strong for creating a fascinating story that mingled history with personal drama. And Lee Daniels did a fabulous job of transforming Strong's tale to the screen. More importantly, "THE BUTLER" managed to avoid that annoying and pretentious air that have tainted a good number of historical dramas in the past. Except in perhaps two scenes. Watching"THE BUTLER" reminded me of an old NBC miniseries that aired back in 1979 called "BACKSTAIRS AT THE WHITE HOUSE", which told the story of a mother/daughter pair named Margaret Rogers and Lillian Rogers Parks, who worked as White House housemaids between 1909 and 1961. 

What really impressed me about the plot for "THE BUTLER" is how Cecil's past and profession had such an impact upon his adult life. Witnessing his mother's rape and his father's death seemed to have an impact upon Cecil's psyche. In a way, these events led him to develop an obsequious personality that served him well,professionally. But his obsequiousness also led him to fear and oppose his son Louis' participation in the Civil Rights movement for many years. I must admit that those sequences featuring Louis' involvement with the Freedom Riders during the early and mid 1960s struck me as both fascinating and harrowing. Cecil and Louis' estrangement deepened when younger son Charlie was killed during the Vietnam War . . . and Louis failed to appear at the funeral for personal reasons. And as I had earlier pointed out, Cecil's job also had an impact on his marriage to Gloria. She resented how his profession kept him away for long hours, leading her to contemplate an adulterous affair with a neighbor.

As much as Daniels and Strong emphasized the impact of Cecil's job upon his private life, they allowed the audiences glimpses of his interactions with not only the presidents who occupied the White House during his tenure, but also with his fellow servants - especially Carter Wilson and James Holloway. The movie featured interactions between Cecil and five U.S. presidents - Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard M. Nixon and Ronald Reagan. If I had to select my favorite presidential segment, it would have to be Cecil's interactions with Johnson, whose penchant for the occasional racial slur I had learned about, years ago. I found those scenes hilarious and sardonic - especially Carter's sarcastic reaction to Johnson's announcement about the Civil Rights bills. There were three scenes I found particularly interesting - Cecil's eavesdropping of Reagan's discussion with GOP politicians regarding South Africa's apartheid policy, Kennedy's revelation of his knowledge regarding Louis' arrests and involvement in the Civil Rights Movement; and Nixon's appearance (when he was Vice-President) in the servants' work room in an effort to recruit their votes during the 1960 Presidential Election. I also enjoyed the private moments between Cecil and his two colleagues that eventually spread to his home, when they began spending off hours with him and his family.

Production-wise, "THE BUTLER" is a beautiful movie to behold. Andrew Dunn's photography provided sharp and colorful images of Cecil's life throughout the 20th century. Tim Galvin's production designs certainly benefited from Dunn's work. Then again, Galvin did a superb job in recapturing those 80-odd years of Cecil's life with great accuracy. This was especially apparent in the period featuring Cecil's first decade as a butler for the White House - between the late 1950s and early 1970s. I can also say the same about Ruth E. Carter's work as the film's costume designer. Not only were they beautiful to look at, I was also impressed by how she recaptured the fashion styles of each period featured in the movie. Here are a few examples of Carter's designs:

DF02322R_a_p DF18633R_a_p

a_560x0

As much as I had enjoyed "THE BUTLER", I cannot deny that it had its share of flaws. Earlier, I had complimented the movie for its lack of pretentiousness - except in two scenes. One of those scenes that seemed to reek of pretentiousness featured Cecil's interaction with President Eisenhower. The scene began with Eisenhower ordering the U.S. Army troops to protect the lives and rights of a group of African-American high students integrating a Little Rock, Arkansas high school. The scene eventually segued into Eisenhower reminiscing about his late father to Cecil. And although the scene's drama was portrayed in a straightforward manner by Forest Whitaker and Robin Williams, it seemed to reek of sentimentality and pretentiousness that I found annoying. Another scene that I found off-putting proved to be Cecil's encounter with President Nixon in the aftermath of the Watergate scandal. The entire scene seemed to have come straight from Cinematic Nixon 101. It featured a slightly drunk Nixon, lounging on a White House sofa, while spouting self doubts about his political abilities and integrity. I found the scene boring, pretentious and very unoriginal. In fact, I would swear I had seen similar views of Nixon in at least two other films.

I would even go as far to say that the movie's main weakness seemed to be its portrayals of the U.S. Presidents featured. For some reason, most of the actors who portrayed those presidents in the movie seemed to be miscast. I had nothing against Robin Williams' performance as Dwight D. Eisenhower. But I took one look at him and was reminded of the character's predecessor - Harry S. Truman. Really. Liev Schreiber struck me as being at least ten to fifteen years too young to be portraying Lyndon B. Johnson. And yet . . . he did such as great job as Johnson that I am willing to allow the issue of his age to slide. John Cusak was not only too young, but also too slender for his role as Richard M. Nixon. In my opinion, he was definitely the wrong actor for the job. As for Alan Rickman . . . hmmm. Well, if I must be honest, I found his portrayal of Ronald Reagan very effective in a subtle way. The only other piece of casting that seemed to be spot on proved to be James Marsden as John F. Kennedy. Not only did he give a pretty good performance, but his Boston accent seemed decent. "THE BUTLER" also featured the appearances of two First Ladies - Minka Kelly as Jacqueline Kennedy and Jane Fonda as Nancy Reagan. Kelly did a solid job as Jackie Kennedy, especially in one scene that featured the First Lady's return to the White House after the death of her husband. And Fonda gave a very entertaining performance as the ambitious and slightly controlling Nancy Reagan.

Since I am on the subject of acting, I might as express my views on those performances by the main cast. "THE BUTLER" featured some solid work from cast members such as Colman Domingo, who portrayed the White House maitre d that hired Cecil in a rather funny scene; Clarence Williams III, who gave a poignant portrayal of an elderly man who first trained Cecil to become a professional waiter; Yaya DaCosta, who did an excellent job of developing the character of Carol Hammie (Louis' girlfriend) from a college student to a hardened activist; Vanessa Redgrave, who gave a brief, yet memorable performance as the elderly mother of the elderly plantation owner who caused havoc within the Gaines family during the 1920s; Alex Pettyfer, as the temperamental landowner, who managed to be effectively scary with very little dialogue; and Mariah Carey, who was surprisingly effective as Cecil's victimized mother. It was great to see Cuba Gooding Jr., who gave a very entertaining performance as the fast-talking White House head butler Carter Wilson, who becomes a long-time friend of Cecil's. Lenny Kravitz gave a subtle performance as Cecil's other White House colleague, the more educated James Holloway. And Terrence Howard gave an excellent performance as the Gaines' somewhat sleazy neighbor, Howard, who becomes interested in Gloria. He was especially brilliant in one scene in which his attempts to seduce Gloria into having an affair with him.

But in my opinion, the best performances came from the movie's three leads - Forest Whitaker, Oprah Winfrey and David Oyelowo. This is the third or fourth time I have seen British-born Oyelowo portray an American character. And I am still amazed at his grasp of an American accent. More importantly, he did a wonderful job in his portrayal of Louis Gaines, Cecil's older son who becomes hardcore activist over the years, aging from 17 years old to a man in his late 60s. While watching "THE BUTLER", I found myself wondering how many years have passed since Oprah Winfrey had a major role in a movie. The last major role I could recall was her performance in the 1998 drama, "BELOVED". Watching her portray Cecil's strong-minded wife, Gloria, reminded me how much of a superb actress she really is. There were two scenes that reminded me how skillful she really is - her bedroom rant against the demands of Cecil's job and her angry response to Louis and Carol's derogatory comments about actor Sidney Poitier. I really do not know what to say about Forest Whitaker's performance in the title role. Personally, I feel that if went on about Whitaker's performance in this movie, this article would stretch even longer. The man was brilliant. He really was. Whitaker did a superb job in developing Cecil from the 35-40 something obsequious butler to the 90 year-old man, looking back on his life and career. And I believe that Cecil Gaines is one of the best roles of his career. It would be a crime if he never receive an Academy Award for his performance.

I have noticed that "THE BUTLER" has received some mixed reviews from the movie critics. And most of these reviews seemed to be in the extreme from high praise to accusations of clumsy direction from Lee Daniels or equally clumsy writing from Danny Strong. I am not going to pretend that "THE BUTLER" is a perfect movie. It has its flaws. But I feel that its virtues more than outweighed its flaws. And thanks to Daniels' direction, Strong's screenplay and a superb cast led by Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey, I feel that "THE BUTLER" is one of the best historical dramas I have seen in years.

No comments: