Sunday, May 4, 2008

"On the Analyst's Couch" - 3/6




Here is the third chapter of "On the Analyst's Couch":


ON THE ANALYST COUCH - Part 3

Piper Halliwell continues to visit Dr. Linnbakker on a weekly basis. However, the good doctor, concerned about the former's husband, asks Piper to suggest to Leo Wyatt that he pay her a visit. He eventually does nearly a month later.


---------


CASE #59884 - LEO WYATT (JANUARY 18, 2002):


DR. LINNBAKKER: (Grins happily at her visitor) Leo! It's good to see you, again!

LEO: (Smiles politely) Good to see you, Doc.

LINNBAKKER: (Smile vanishes) Really? Why do I get the feeling that you'd rather be somewhere else?

LEO: Don't take this personally, but I don't see why you wanted to see me. I know I was having problems, two years ago. But I've over that, now. I have Piper.

LINNBAKKER: The same Piper who is a) grieving over a dead sister; b) resenting the presence of a new one; and c) who has developed an obsession to destroy the Source? Mind you, I have nothing against that last one. (Pauses) Somewhat.

LEO: (Frowns) What did you mean by . . . somewhat?

LINNBAKKER: Well, she has been a little preoccupied with vanquishing demons, lately. Hasn't she? Did you know that when she first visited me, she wore black leather pants? Piper?

LEO: Uh . . .

LINNBAKKER: Never mind that. This is about you. How are you?

LEO: (Shrugs) Fine.

LINNBAKKER: Uh-huh. So, you and Piper aren't having any problems, lately?

LEO: None at all. (Pauses) Well, we did have a little disagreement, recently.

LINNBAKKER: Oh?

LEO: Piper wanted our child to grow up with powers. And . . .

LINNBAKKER: (Looks surprised) Piper is pregnant?

LEO: No, not yet! I'm referring to any future children. Piper and I are thinking about having children, now. Anyway, she thinks our child should keep his or her powers. I want our child's powers bound until he or she becomes an adult. Or adolescent.

LINNBAKKER: (Gawks at Leo) Wait a minute! You mean to say that PIPER wants the child to keep his or her powers? PIPER?

LEO: Amazing, huh? I guess she's finally learning to accept being a witch.

LINNBAKKER: I guess. Or perhaps she wants to ensure that your future children will be protected, in case the Source decides to attack.

LEO: (Frowns again) You think so?

LINNBAKKER: I don't know, Leo. I'm just speculating. Piper failed to mention this little tidbit during our last session. (Pauses) I must admit that I am surprised by your viewpoint on this whole thing.

LEO: Why?

LINNBAKKER: C'mon Leo! I'm surprised that you would want your child's powers bound. You, of all people!

LEO: What's wrong with that? Our child would have a normal childhood, like Piper and her sisters. And he or she won't attract demonic attention. Like the firestarter we had recently helped. Tyler's powers kept attracting all sorts of bounty hunters and in the end, Piper had to give him a potion to bind them. Piper finally realized what I was trying to say.

LINNBAKKER: (Sighs and shakes her head) Oh Leo!

LEO: What?

LINNBAKKER: I can't believe that you, of all people, would adopt such an attitude.

LEO: You don't understand, Doc. I'm a married man. I might have a child, soon. And I have to think about . . .

LINNBAKKER: Oh Leo! You know better than that! Those bounty hunters were after the child, because it's their job. Just like that zoltar who had come after Cole, over a year ago. He tracked Belthazor, whenever the latter shimmered.

LEO: That's why I want our child's power bound. To protect him or her from bounty hunters.

LINNBAKKER: The Source specifically wanted that firestarter. Why would a demonic bounty hunter go after any child of yours?

LEO: That child's mother is a Charmed One. What other reason could there be?

LINNBAKKER: If that's the case, a zoltar would be able to find your child, whether it had powers or not. Without powers, your child would not be able to protect him or herself.

LEO: Our child would have a normal childhood.

LINNBAKKER: Your wife and sisters-in-law had their powers bound as children. And they certainly didn't have normal childhoods. In fact, I'd say far from normal. (Leans forward) Look Leo, I think you're trying to control a situation that's beyond your control. There are other factors to consider. Piper could get killed. You could get killed by a darklighter. And whether or not your child has his or her powers bound, that child will be living in a house where magic is practiced. And where demons and warlocks will be paying a visit to kill the legendary Charmed Ones. Have you considered that?

LEO: (Sighs) No. But Piper and I have made our decision.

LINNBAKKER: (Sadly) Too bad. (Pauses) Leo, do you mind if I ask you something else?

LEO: What?

LINNBAKKER: Are you frightened?

LEO: Frightened of what, exactly?

LINNBAKKER: Well, this decision to bind your child's powers. It's not like you. Are you frightened?

LEO: Other than the usual demonic or warlock encounters, the Halliwells and my other charges might face, no.

LINNBAKKER: Come on, Leo. You know what I'm talking about. Everything has been pretty chaotic these past six months or so. Piper died, thanks to some nut who has a thing about witches. Oh yes, I know all about that. When Tempus turned back time, it failed to eradicate that little incident from my files. Whatever the Founders know, I know. And after time was reversed, Shax killed Prue and that doctor. Piper went into an emotional upheaval. Phoebe practically clinged to Cole for support. And now it seems that you have a new Charmed One to deal with. Paige. And then, what happened next?"

LEO: (Sighs) I know. The Source almost got Piper.

LINNBAKKER: (Nods) He did get Piper. He almost convinced her to vanquish the Charmed Ones' powers. And he would have succeeded if you and Cole had not stopped him. (Pauses) Was that the last straw for you? That incident with the Source and Piper? Is that why you're so frightened, now?

LEO: I'm not . . . (Sighs) Yes. Maybe.

LINNBAKKER: What maybe? Yes or no?

LEO: You have to understand, Doc. It's been a difficult time for all of us.

LINNBAKKER: (Nods) Uh-huh.

LEO: I mean, Piper hasn't really been herself, lately. Sometimes, she seems quite normal. You know, Piper. Other times (Shakes his head) I feel as if I'm living with another version of Prue.

LINNBAKKER: How did you and Prue get along?

LEO: (Shrugs) Fine, I guess. Except . . . there were times when she got a little ahead of herself. And that was . . . God! Annoying! Sometimes, she just won't listen.

LINNBAKKER: I'm well acquainted with Prue's traits.

LEO: With Piper, I feel as if I'm living with two women. One minute, she's herself. You know, nice and sweet Piper. The next minute, she's some avenging angel.

LINNBAKKER: Piper is nice and sweet?

LEO: Well . . . sometimes. (Squirms under the doctor's stare) Okay, she can be a little . . . well, sarcastic at times. And distant. (Pauses) And resentful. But that's Piper. But ever since Prue's death . . .

LINNBAKKER: I understand. It's difficult dealing with a grieving spouse.

LEO: And with the Source resurfacing, God only knows what will happen next. I'm not afraid to say it, Doc. I'm scared.

LINNBAKKER: (Nods) I understand. Have you spoken to anyone about this?

LEO: (Blinks) What?

LINNBAKKER: Have you spoken to anyone about your feelings? Someone other than Piper? What about another whitelighter?

LEO: I've never been that close to the other whitelighters. Except for Natalie. And she's dead.

LINNBAKKER: In other words, your life has basically revolved around the Charmed Ones. I see. Big mistake, if you ask me. What about Phoebe and Paige? Have you spoken with them?

LEO: Phoebe is still trying to get used to being the middle sister. And she's engaged to Cole, now that he's human.

LINNBAKKER: Oh really? I wonder if she would have agreed to marry him, if he had remained a half-demon.

LEO: Of course not! A witch can't marry a demon!

LINNBAKKER: Why not? Everyone used to say the same about witches and whitelighters.

LEO: Huh?

LINNBAKKER: Never mind. What about Paige? Have you talked with her?

LEO: (Shrugs) About her problems. She has enough trouble adjusting to being a Charmed One. I guess it hasn't been easy suddenly finding a family and discovering that you're one of the most powerful witches, ever. And a . . .

LINNBAKKER: A whitelighter. I get it. What about Cole?

LEO: (Frowns) I don't know. He's been acting odd, lately. Ever since he became a mortal. Paige managed to find a job for him with her social services agency. Only he quit, after several hours.

LINNBAKKER: I'm not surprised. The man had lost his powers and he's not cut out for a nine-to-five job. I guess you know what that was like.

LEO: (Sighs) Yeah. But . . .

LINNBAKKER: And if I remember correctly, you were feeling very frustrated at the time. You even ended up begging the Founders to restore your powers.

LEO: Yeah, but there's no one around to restore Cole's powers. He might as well adjust to being a mortal. I, on the other hand, was on probation. (Pauses) Look, I understand that Cole is going through a difficult time, right now. When I had lost my powers, it was very difficult for me. I felt very frustrated and lost. Nor did it help that Piper was dating . . . whats-his-name.

LINNBAKKER: Dan Gordon.

(Leo frowns.)

LINNBAKKER: (Sighs) Well Leo, I think you really need to talk with someone. With all this chaos going on, you can't keep your feelings to yourself. All of this is just tearing at you.

LEO: (Squirms) I know.

LINNBAKKER: Do you? I'm beginning to wonder. I realize that you love your wife and her family very much, but you need to talk with someone other than the Charmed Ones. Especially Piper. You need another outlet, badly. Why don't you try getting closer to Cole. Or to that cop all of you are friendly with - Darryl Morris. Or maybe it's time you get reacquainted with some of your fellow whitelighters.

LEO: What about Piper and the others?

LINNBAKKER: I'm not saying that you should ignore your family. But they seemed to be going through their own problems. Have any of them shown concern toward you?

LEO: Well . . . like I said, they've been pretty busy . . .

LINNBAKKER: In other words, no. I get the picture. (Reaches for her notepad) Well, since you can't find someone to talk to, maybe you should pay me another visit. (Scribbles on her pad, tears off a sheet and hands it to Leo) Here is your next appointment. Wednesday, at 11AM.

LEO: (Stares at the sheet of paper) Uh, Doc? I don't know if I'll be able to make it, next Wednesday. There's a whitelighter meeting I have to attend. Maybe we can reschedule for . . . I don't know, a few days later?

LINNBAKKER: (Stares hard at Leo and writes another appointment for him) Okay, how about next Friday? At 10AM. Be there. (Hands Leo a new slip of paper) And don't forget.

LEO: (Gives Dr. Linnbakker a wan smile) I won't. Bye. (Slides off the chaise and leaves)

LINNBAKKER: (Sighs) Well, I won't be seeing him again, for a long time.


END OF CASE #59884

No comments: